California Rio Grande Turkey Hunts
Oak Stone Outfitters hunts Rio Grande turkeys in the stunning Central California area. Hunts are conducted west of Paso Robles in Bradley,CA. Hunts are scheduled for the California spring turkey season. The spring season runs from the last weekend in March and extends for 45 consecutive days, with archery and the junior season staying open for two weeks after the general season closes.
Hunts are scheduled for two days. Hunters can expect to see 15-20 birds per day, depending on weather conditions. We begin each hunt with decoys set up near known roost locations. Traditional calling methods are used on all spring turkey hunts. We hunt all day in the field, taking a break for lunch at midday. The hunt concludes at 5 P.M. each day, which is a predetermined time set by the California department of Fish and Wildlife. Full camouflage is recommended, including full face masks, while turkey hunting unless hunting out of ground blinds.
What To Expect
Hunters can expect to start the morning near a known roost site with the hopes of getting a gobbler as soon as he comes down from the roost. We use decoys on every morning set up and try to use them throughout the day, if the situation is suitable. After the morning sit, we will cover some more ground, while trying to locate an aggressive Tom by calling and glassing. We recommend coming prepared with the appropriate hunting gear. Be sure to see the details below in order to know exactly what you’ll need for the hunt that you’ll not soon forget!
RIO GRANDE TURKEY HUNT DETAILS
- We take our turkey hunting seriously and are in constant pursuit of “the perfect set up”
- Hunts that run in the spring use traditional calling and decoy methods
- Spring hunts are recommended.
- The spring season runs from the last weekend in March and extends for 45 consecutive days
- Hunts that run in the fall use spot and stalk methods as well as ambush and some calling
- Fall season runs from November 12th until December 8th
- Archery season runs for 2 weeks after the general spring season
- Junior season is open the weekend prior to general spring season and during archery season.
- Opportunity for one bird per hunter
- Transportation while in the Field
- Drinks and snacks while in the Field
- Plucking or breasting of turkey
- 2 days of lodging and meals
- Weekend hunts – Friday to Sunday
- Weekday hunts – Tuesday to Thursday
*Additional turkeys may be purchased
What to Pack
- A valid California hunting license
- Upland game bird stamp (validation)
- Shotgun with non-Lead Ammunition or Archery equipment
- Good hiking boots
- Warm clothing